Advance your career with the American Burn Association Burn Therapist Certified (BT-C) specialty certification.
The mission of the Burn Therapist Certified (BT-C) program is to promote and recognize occupational and physical therapists who have specialized knowledge, skill, and experience in burn rehabilitation.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Offers professional recognition and validation for advanced specialty knowledge, skills, and experience in burn rehabilitation.
- Establishes a foundation for continuing education, professional development, and career advancement opportunities.
- Provides a focused and meaningful professional development goal based on competency standards.
- Demonstrates commitment to the practice of burn therapy and to the rehabilitation of burn survivors.
- Provides access to a network of professionals with similar interest and expertise in burn rehabilitation.
- Possess an occupational therapy or physical therapy license in good standing with the state/territory/country licensing agency.
- Graduated from a World Federation of Occupational Therapists or World Confederation for Physical Therapy recognized educational program.
- Have worked with the burn injured population for a minimum of 2 years.
- Have worked 4,000 hours in direct patient care with the burn population in the 5 years prior to application date.
- Demonstrate that you meet defined standards and objectives for at least four domains of burn rehabilitation practice.
- Submit a nonrefundable, $50 processing fee. You will be prompted to then complete a registration form including an employment verification form.
- The registration form will be verified by the ABA Central Office. If verified, you will be sent links to the Portfolio Application and Portfolio Payment link.
- You will have 8 weeks to submit the full Portfolio Application and Portfolio Payment. Be sure to reference our Applicant Handbook while preparing your application.
- Once submitted, the reviewers will review your Portfolio Application and you will receive a response approximately eight weeks after you submit the portfolio and the payment is received.
|Registration Process Fee||$50|
|ABA Member Price (for Portfolio)||$400|
|Nonmember Price (for Portfolio)||$800|
- Valid for 5 years from certification date.
- Renewal of certification requires:
- Current license
- 2,000 hours of work experience within the last 5 years
- 50 hours of professional development activities related to burn rehabilitation within the previous 5 years
New System Notice
Calling all OTs and PTs—complete your Burn Therapist Certified (BT-C) Portfolio by December 31, 2019 to be recognized at the 2020 Annual Meeting!
If you are interested in applying, but will not submit before December 31, 2019, please hold off until our new system is released in 2020!