You ARE the ABA
The annual Call for Volunteers is now open!
Volunteers are the fuel that power associations. ABA offers a variety of ways for our members to get involved via committees. With every new volunteer, ABA grows more energized, more diverse, and better equipped to reach our common goals.
Deadline to Apply: January 11, 2024
The Volunteer Application Form requires all prospective volunteers to complete the following requirements prior to applying:
- Renew membership through December 31, 2024
- Assign copyright for any work product completed as part of your committee assignments to the ABA
- Disclose relationships that may impact your volunteerism
After completing these requirements, you will have the opportunity to indicate your area of expertise, specific committee interests, and provide other information that can help us assign you to a committee. If you have questions about the work of any specific committee, please feel free to contact the Chair using the Committee Directory.
Call for Volunteers Schedule
The Call for Volunteers is conducted annually, beginning in the Fall. ABA members are given a two-month window to apply and then the applicant pool is carefully considered by Committee Chairs and the Board. Official committee appointments are approved by the Board and announced in the spring of each year.
Terms begin during the annual meeting (April 2024), are typically 1-3 years, and may be up for reappointment upon conclusion. By volunteering you are indicating a willingness to accept an appointment if offered, however, members may decline the appointment or step down at any time.
The ABA typically has more volunteer applicants each year than open positions. We will make every effort to place all interested volunteers on their committee of preference, but application and interest are not guarantees of appointment. If you are not selected for service, we will reach out with a list of other ways to become involved until the next call for volunteers.
Benefits of Volunteerism
- Strengthen your ties with the ABA community. Committee work brings you together with leaders among the membership that you may never have had an opportunity to meet.
- Share your expertise with other burn care professionals.
- Become more valuable to your current employer and more marketable to potential employers by gaining new skills, acquiring additional expertise, and enhancing your leadership abilities.
Volunteer Requirements and Expectations
ABA committees are working committees. You may be asked to complete special assignments outside of meetings to accomplish committee goals.
ABA volunteers are responsible for:
- Attending scheduled committee and subcommittee meetings (as applicable).
- Completing tasks/projects for which they volunteer.
- Showing support by attending their committee’s programs on a regular basis.
- Agreeing to the ABA’s volunteer policies, including code of conduct.
- Maintaining current ABA membership. At the time of application, each volunteer’s membership expiration date must be AFTER the start of the next volunteer term.
- Assigning copyright to the ABA for any work product completed as a result of committee volunteerism.
- Disclosing relationships that may impact volunteerism.